The Joint Measurement Board was established in 1934 to run a national scheme for the measurement of the height of horses and ponies for the purpose of description and classification of horses and ponies for competition.
The JMB booking system is paperless - this means that no JMB certificates are issued or updated and all measurements are available for inspection on the JMB online searchable database.
Owners are required to apply and pay for measurements in advance using an online form (www.thejmbonline.co.uk). The fee, payable by credit and/or debit card, is £90.00 (2020 - 2021 prices). Please be aware that you need to either email a copy of the payment confirmation to reception (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to the measurement or bring along a copy or screenshot on the day of the measurement. Without the confirmation we will be unable to proceed with the measurement.
Payment by credit or debit card will mean that once the animal is measured and the Official Measurer has uploaded the details, the JMB can add the measurement to the database within a day or two.
Once owners have applied and paid for a measurement they can book an appointment in the normal way.
Key points to note:
- All horses and ponies must have at least one Annual Certificate regardless of its age before they can have a Full Certificate.
- Annual Certificates are issued to animals aged 4, 5 and 6 years old, or to any animal over 7 which is being measured for the first time.
- Measurements can be done at any time of the year but Annual Certificates will expire on the 31st December following the last measurement.
- Measurements are carried out by Official Measurers.
- Measurements are carried out on registered measuring pads with shoes removed. We have an official pad at The Sussex Equine Hospital (Pad Number 3901).
- Consecutive measurements must be done by different Registered Measurers.
- The Measurer for a Full Certificate must be a different Measurer from the Measurer for the last Annual Certificate.
- The animal’s passport must be seen at the time of measurement (copies will not be accepted). Please ensure the passport accompanies the animal on the day. All animals being measured must have a microchip inserted. This can be done at the time of measuring if required at additional expense.
- For further information about the Joint Measurement Board and its panel of Official Measurers, please visit the JMB Ltd website - www.thejmbonline.co.uk