Breeding Season 2019
The breeding season kicks off in a month, on 14th February. We have an incredibly experienced team of four stud vets here at the Sussex Equine Hospital: Simon Staempfli, Paula Broadhurst, Una Boyle and Ed Lyall, that can cater for all your equine breeding needs.
We are the only practice in the South of England that has a separate out-of-hours 'stud vet rota' during the breeding season. This means that when you have a breeding-related emergency, you will always get a stud vet experienced in dealing with mare and foal problems. It also means that all routine stud procedures that need to be carried out at weekends will always we dealt with by a stud vet.
- Thoroughbred mares can be managed for 'walk-in' covers.
- As the practice is a BEVA-approved AI Practice - sport horse mares can be mated by AI, using frozen and chilled semen. These can be done at home or in our hospital.
- Embryo transfer can be carried out, again at home or in the hospital.
- Competitive packages for AI and ET are available.
- Stallions can have semen collected for chilled shipping at the hospital.
- Our lab is HBLB-accredited for CEM swabs of both mares and stallions, all routine breeding swabs are also performed in-house.
- We provide post-foaling checks on mares and foals and blood work for IGG.
- The hospital is there to back-up the road vets. Mares that have foaling problems can be admitted for assisted delivery or C-section under GA.
- The hospital also has two dedicated intensive care boxes for sick foals and mares.
- All young stock management issues can also be dealt with by the stud vet team.
Please contact the practice on 01903 883050 too discuss your breeding requirements.